Swim Lesson Levels
Frog & Tadpole Class
6 months to 3 years old. The class will be taught with the instructor, adult, and child in the water together with a 1:4 ratio.
Level 0: Flounder with Parent: 2.5—3.9 years old
The class will be taught with the instructor, adult, and child in the water together with a 1:8 ratio.
Level 1: Flounder Skills – Water Exploration
Must be 4 years old. Child must be able to leave parent. The child will become acclimated to the water through games and will learn basic safety skills in addition to water submersion and floating with support.
Level 2: Jellyfish Skills – Primary Skills
Child needs to be acclimated to the water. The child will learn to be in the water unassisted on both front and back positions. Bobbing, floating, and kicking will be the main focus of this level. Safety and learning through games will still be incorporated into this level.
Level 3: Octopus Skills – Stroke Readiness
Child is comfortable floating unassisted on both front and back. The child can recover from float to standing position unassisted and be able to have a propulsive kick. The child will begin learning freestyle, backstroke, elementary backstroke, treading water, and diving. Safety skills and games will also be incorporated into this level.
Level 4: Clownfish Skills – Stroke Development
Child must be able to swim novice freestyle and backstroke, be able to jump in and return to the side unassisted, tread water for 10 seconds, and know the basics of the breaststroke and butterfly kicks. Freestyle and backstroke skills will be refined. Endurance will be increased in all skills.
Swim Level Tests
Level 1 Test to move to level 2:
- Enter water unassisted and move 5 yards, bob 5 times to chin level and safely exit the water. (participants can walk, travel along the gutter or “swim”)
- Float on front with support for 3 seconds, roll to back (with assistance) and float on back with support for 3 seconds.
Level 2 Test to move to level 3:
- Step from the side of the pool into chest deep water; move into a front float for 5 seconds; roll over to back float and return to standing position Then perform back float for 5 seconds and return to standing position.
- Push off and swim using a combination of arm and leg actions for 15 feet on the front. Push off and swim using a combination of arm and leg actions for 15 feet on their back.
Level 3 Test to move to level 4:
- Jump into chest-deep water from the side, swim front crawl for 15 yards with face in the water and rhythmic breathing pattern (to front or side), maintain position by treading water or floating for 30 seconds and swim back crawl for 15 yards.