Start a business in Montgomery


State of Ohio Requirements

Businesses located in the State of Ohio typically must register with the Federal Internal Revenue (IRS) as well as the Ohio Department of Taxation.  Many businesses must register as a legal entity with the Secretary of State.  In addition, employers must follow the requirements of the Ohio Bureau of Workers Compensation and Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.

Hamilton County Requirements

Businesses are required to apply to the Hamilton County Auditor for a Vendors License, which authorizes the business to make taxable sales and collect sales tax.

City of Montgomery Requirements

When searching for the perfect location for your business, please be sure to refer to the City of Montgomery Zoning Code, Chapters 150 & 151.  In addition to businesses located within commercial areas, certain home occupations and home offices are permitted by the Montgomery Zoning Code.  There are restrictions which apply and certain businesses are prohibited as in-home occupations.

For more information or to verify zoning and the future placement of your business, please call the Montgomery Community Development Department at 792-8309.

Permitting and Zoning

The new location of your business may require additional permitting for building and/or zoning.  The following list of items require permitting through our Community Development Department:

  • Signage-building, free standing and temporary
  • New Buildings, Additions, Interior Renovations
  • Electrical, mechanical, alarms
  • Fire suppression systems
  • Roofing
  • Expansion of parking or paved areas on lot
Close window