FAQ Topic: Zoning

How do I report housing code violations?

The City of Montgomery has a property maintenance code, which sets minimum standards for both commercial and residential properties. For more information regarding this code or to report a complaint about the condition of a property within the City, including high grass, call the Montgomery Zoning and Code Compliance Officer at 513-792-8347.

What is the process for requesting a variance from the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA)?

After discussing the project with the Montgomery Community Development Director, and deciding that you wish to proceed with a variance request, you must provide 13 copies of your site plan showing setbacks to the proposed structure and a fully completed Board of Zoning Appeals Application to the Montgomery building department.  There is also a non-refundable $300 processing … Continued

Do I need a permit for a fence?

Fences and walls up to 6.25 feet in height may be erected in the side and rear yard of any residential lot and zoning or building permits are not required.  In the front yard, fences over two feet in height are not allowed.  Fences may be of any standard fence material, including, but not limited … Continued

How long does it take to get a permit approved?

Zoning permits can usually be processed very quickly, sometimes in as little as two days.  Projects such as new buildings or other projects that require a building permit and/or engineering review can take up to two weeks and very large projects can take well over a month.  Most residential permits are approved in two weeks … Continued

What do I need to submit for a zoning permit?

All zoning permit applications should be submitted electronically, if possible, and include a site plan, construction drawings and elevations, if applicable.  You will also need to complete a building/zoning form to include with your submission.  All zoning permits are processed in the Montgomery building department, 10101 Montgomery Road.  Call the building department with any questions … Continued

Do I need a permit?

All construction activity to enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system requires a permit. If in doubt, please call the building department at 513-792-8309 for verification. A complete list of what … Continued

Close window