FAQ Topic: Business

How do I file my Montgomery taxes?

Residents and businesses in the City of Montgomery can file their local income tax returns with RITA using the following methods: RITA eFile: Click “My Account” to securely file your return through RITA’s website. Individual Paper Forms: Click to download and print the appropriate return form and mail to RITA at the address listed on … Continued

What kind of licensing is required for businesses in Montgomery?

State of Ohio Requirements Businesses located in the State of Ohio typically must register with the Federal Internal Revenue (IRS) as well as the Ohio Department of Taxation.  Many businesses must register as a legal entity with the Secretary of State.  In addition, employers must follow the requirements of the Ohio Bureau of Workers Compensation and Ohio Department of Job and … Continued

Am I allowed to have a garage sale at my house?

Garage sales are permitted, but for no more than three days in a row and no more than four times per year at any one location. No permit is required for garage sale signs. Please do not post signs on utility poles or in the public right-of-way. For more information, call the Montgomery Community Development … Continued

What is the City’s Noise Ordinance?

Construction noise is permitted 7am-9pm, Monday-Friday and 9am-8pm Saturday and Sunday. All other noise generated by a person shall not generate unreasonable noise between the hours of 11pm and 7am.  Click here to read the entire Ordinance.  For more information or to report a violation, call the Montgomery Police Department at 513-985-1600.

How do I report housing code violations?

The City of Montgomery has a property maintenance code, which sets minimum standards for both commercial and residential properties. For more information regarding this code or to report a complaint about the condition of a property within the City, including high grass, call the Montgomery Zoning and Code Compliance Officer at 513-792-8347.

What is the process for requesting a variance from the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA)?

After discussing the project with the Montgomery Community Development Director, and deciding that you wish to proceed with a variance request, you must provide 13 copies of your site plan showing setbacks to the proposed structure and a fully completed Board of Zoning Appeals Application to the Montgomery building department.  There is also a non-refundable $300 processing … Continued

Do I need a permit for a fence?

Fences and walls up to 6.25 feet in height may be erected in the side and rear yard of any residential lot and zoning or building permits are not required.  In the front yard, fences over two feet in height are not allowed.  Fences may be of any standard fence material, including, but not limited … Continued

How long does it take to get a permit approved?

Zoning permits can usually be processed very quickly, sometimes in as little as two days.  Projects such as new buildings or other projects that require a building permit and/or engineering review can take up to two weeks and very large projects can take well over a month.  Most residential permits are approved in two weeks … Continued

Close window