When do I need a driveway/excavation permit?

A right of way excavation permit is needed anytime you will be doing excavation in the public right of way, which for most properties is a strip of land approximately 12 feet from the edge of the road.  The types of projects that would typically require this type of permit are new driveways and drainage lines.

For your safety, before digging on private property or within the public right-of-way, call the Ohio Utilities Protection Service at 1-800-362-2764 so it can properly identify the location of all utility service lines.  Damaging underground utility lines can result in serious injury or death as well as costly repairs.

Close window