What is the public right of way?

The public-right-of-way is a strip of land dedicated for use by the City, in addition to the roadway, that is usually between the roadway edge and the sidewalk or utility poles. Generally it is land approximately 12’ from the edge of the roadway, depending on what part of the City you are located. For more information about  your right-of-way, call our construction compliance officer at 513-792-8322.

Any construction or excavation work taking place in the public right-of-way requires a right-of-way excavation permit.  This includes: Street openings, curb cuts, and driveway apron replacements as well as planting or removing trees.  Utilities are generally located within the public right-of-way and residents are not permitted to erect signs or structures or dig in the area without first obtaining review and approval by the City and by calling Ohio Utilities Protection Service (OUPS) at 800-362-2764.

For more information, visit the City Permits Page or call Montgomery City Hall at 513-891-2424.

Close window