To help more people get the support they need, The Federal Communications Commission has adopted 988 as a new three-digit number to be used nationwide to reach the National Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Crisis Lifeline.
For 988 to work in our area code, mandatory 10-digital local dialing will begin October 24, 2021.
What will the new dialing procedure be? To complete all local calls, you will need to dial the area code + telephone number. This applies to all calls within your area code that are currently dialed with seven digits.
What will remain the same?
- Your telephone number, including the current area code, will not change.
- The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services will not change.
- What is a local call now will remain a local call regardless of the number of digits dialed.
- You will continue to dial 1 + area code +telephone number for all long-distance calls.
- You can still dial 911 for emergencies.
- You can still reach The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline by dialing 1-800-273-TALK (8255).